Monday, July 15, 2019

Welcome to Siniloan!






pictures:
*Sister Stewart from Laguna, CA in Laguna, PH
*Sunflower fields with her new companion, Sister Buenaflor
*Carol, one of the members, that is Syd's Sinilaon bestie already!
*Alberto family! Some of her favorites she hated saying goodbye to in Taguig
*The Cruz family...another hard goodbye
*Omni, the driver's son, fell asleep on the drive home from Laguna (can you imagine driving like that?!?)

After about 4 hours of the most beautiful travel in my life, I am on the complete other end of the mission in Siniloan. It is so beautiful here! There's a lake, trees, fields, mountains, everything you could imagine in paradise! Except of course my family, but there are such wonderful people here to make up for it.
Here are some highlights from the week:
-We are teaching a deaf boy and a member owns the school he goes to so we're able to teach him there. Some of his classmates linger to watch while their teacher signs to translate. I really wish I knew sign language. I learned how to sign his name so that's good! I'll try to work on it. Even though I can't really communicate that well with him, I love him so much already. It's very easy to see what type of person he is even though he's never spoken to me. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to teach him!
-We had a "Branch Home Evening" which is where the members help us put on this activity that is mostly to focus on the people that we are teaching as missionaries. Sister Wilson (one of the other missionaries in the ward) and I explained about Joseph Smith in front of everyone. She just finished her training, so it was kind of like I was the senior companion for a second. Kind of scary, but we said what we wanted to say and it was probably all over the place, but I think they understood! Tagalog is still so hard but it is so fun. I of course had to bare my testimony in Sacrament meeting the next day and it was filled with all sorts of grammar mistakes, but the Lord has helped me so much. It's quite "grabe" how much I have to rely on the Spirit. I am understanding almost everything now, it's just very difficult to speak with the correct conjugations and focuses. There are so many variations and it's hard to get it just right! But I am so so grateful that I have made it this far. Miracles do happen!
-It rained on us inside someone's house the other day. I guess that's not a highlight... but we were at least able to help Nanay get buckets to catch the water!
-We were supposed to have a baptism this past week, but the girl's little brother is in the hospital with really bad pneumonia. We were able to help them though by going and grabbing all their dirty laundry and washing it for them so that the mother didn't have to do it all by hand when she got home. It took about two days, but I know she will be so grateful! I am so grateful that missionary work gives me so many opportunities to serve. 
-Here is the very exciting news... my companion, Sister Buenaflor, is so hardworking and POWER so that, with the help of the members, we had 10 people come to church! That's incredible! Such a happy day:)
-The members here are so involved in missionary work! It's crazy the difference when members help us. No wonder the baptismal numbers are so high here!! Members- help your local missionaries!!!! Whether it's referrals or going out to work with them or even feeding them... it makes the work progress insanely fast!
-We went to a sunflower farm this morning (Monday). It was so beautiful and fun! Our feet got so muddy.
I love you all! Please be safe and be happy.
Mahal ko po kayong lahat,
Sister Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment