Monday, October 21, 2019

Awkwardness





pictures:
*Morong and Siniloan Zone Conference was held this week (Syd's in Siniloan)
*Her mission president, President Alder and his wife are right behind Sydney on the left 
*Service project time
*Planting rice fields is messy, back breaking work
*Just munching on some chicken intestines, again

sydney.stewart@missionary.org


Ok so this week I hit my half way point, so 9 months on the mission! It's crazy. So I've been thinking about a lot of things... and one thing I've realized is how awkward I've gotten when it comes to anything other than missionary work here in the Philippines.
We all know those awkward returned missionaries right? The ones who have forgotten how to speak English, who everytime are asked about dating or flirting or anything in that context freeze or freak out? They hear regular music or a bad word and it almost brings them to tears? IT'S ALREADY ME!!!!!!
We have this American that just moved into our branch with his cute Filipino wife and every time I talk to him I don't know what to say. Our cultures are just so different! Wow, I just realized I'm an American so our cultures are technically the same... But I feel more and more Filipino as the days go by!! Like the first time I talked to him, I almost asked him how old he is, exactly where his house is... which is completely normal in Filipino culture right when you meet someone!! Luckily I realized and stopped myself from saying things like that, but still, I probably said something that seemed weird to him.
It's ok though, I'll just embrace the awkwardness!! I'll just need help from you all when I get home.
This week has been stressful but so rewarding! We are excited for Brother Mogas' baptism on Saturday. Earlier today we were able to plant rice in a rice field! So fun!!!!
Enjoy your week and remember... Heavenly Father notices the small good things that you do! Even when you feel like He has no reason to be proud of you, He notices even the smallest efforts you make and appreciates them more than you can imagine.
Ingat po,
Sister Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment